Shildon Town Council is launching their first ‘Blooming Best Garden Competition’, and we would like all you green fingered residents, young and old, to all to get involved.
How to enter, simply complete the form below and upload a picture of your garden taken this year. There are 8 categories to enter under, from Best Front Garden, Community and Multi-User Gardens, Allotments or Edible Gardens to Building a Bug Hotel, so come on Shildon, show us how your garden grows.
“Councillors have been noticing the hard work that people put into gardens and yards around the town, and really appreciate the cumulative effect this creates in making Shildon a brighter and more beautiful place to live and work. We thought it something worth celebrating this summer, so have joined forces with GARDENA, a trusted gardening brand employing local people at their Newton Aycliffe site, to create this Shildon’s Blooming Best Gardens Competition, and we would love as many people as possible to join in the celebration.”
A spokesperson for the well-known garden brand told us a little about why they were delighted to give their support. “GARDENA, part of the Husqvarna Group, is excited to be supporting this local initiative with the Shildon Town Council. As more people are turning to their gardens and green spaces for relaxation and wellness, we as a brand want to support all passionate gardeners out there, in creating beautiful spaces that can be enjoyed by the whole community.”
The deadline to receive garden entries is 5.00pm 1st September 2021, to ensure we see your garden, allotment, or green space at its best. All entrants will receive a Certificate of Merit and category winners will receive a Certificate of Excellence along with a prize, so dig out your wellies and let’s get gardening.
Entering the competition is really easy, and can be done by completing the online form below, which will also allow you to submit a photograph of your garden etc, for our judging panel to admire and consider. Alternatively you can enter by bringing your entry details and a photo taken this year to the Town Council Offices, or by posting us the form below together with your garden photograph.
Prizes for the Shildon Best Blooming Garden Competition have been announced. There are prizes across the eight competition categories as follows.
- Category 1. Best Front Garden – £50 prize money plus a GARDENA CleverRoll hose trolley set with 25m hose and comfort multisprayer gun and hamper of garden care products.
- Category 2. Best Back Garden – £50 prize money plus a GARDENA CleverRoll hose trolley set with 25m hose and comfort multisprayer gun and a hamper of garden care products.
- Category 3. Best Frontage Shop – £50 prize money plus a GARDENA Balcony Box set, planting mat and gloves set.
- Category 4. Home Frontage – for properties that open onto the street – £50 prize money plus a GARDENA Balcony box, planting mat and gloves set.
- Category 5. Hidden Garden – a space or location not visible from the street – £50 prize money plus a GARDENA Liano Textile 20m hose and Comfort Multispray gun.
- Category 6. Allotment or Edible Garden – £50 prize money plus a GARDENA Liano Textile 20m hose and Comfort Multispray gun.
- Category 7. Community / Multi User Garden – i.e. shared or residential accommodation or community project – £50 prize money plus a GARDENA CleverRoll hose trolley set with 25m hose and comfort multisprayer gun and a hamper of garden products.
- Category 8. Best Bug Hotel – the category for the younger gardeners – a Family Pass for Planet Leisure at Newton Aycliffe plus a GARDENA ClickUp Bird feeder.
The competition organisers are also offering an extra prize, to be awarded to the entry the judges agree to be best from the winners across all eight categories, which is dinner for two persons at Shildon’s Civic Hall.
There is no charge to enter the competition and it can be done by taking a photograph of your entry and submitting it using the online form accessible via the Town Council’s website or social media feeds, or by sending it using the form in this week’s Town Crier.